Thursday, August 15, 2013

E-Book Readers and Indie Bands

DIGImmortal Photo: 365 Project &emdash; Day 119 02-08-10 Feed the Piggy

So, I normally don't post things along these lines, but there's a first time for everything.

With the sudden boom in crowd-funding, lots of people are turning to sites like Indiegogo or Kickstarter to get their projects funded and off the ground. In exchange, they offer some cool perks/prizes/goods/services/etc in exchange for donations of certain levels.

I'd like to just mention 2 projects that are online right now and need funding, because I have or had something to do with each of them.


E-Book Reader
If you remember back to my blog about The Importance of Color, you'll remember the video still shot I used of the man speaking on a blue background. That is Rene Reyes and he is the mind behind Alquimi Innovations. He has a special E-book reader app that he is developing that will be particularly useful for people who have a hard time getting through large blocks of text, people afflicted with various levels of dyslexia, and people who like to speed-read. I helped him with the interview portion of the video he is using on the Indiegogo campaign page, but needs some help getting the numbers up. If you could go check it out and even toss in $1, it would help drive up the number of supporters, and help inch him closer to his goal. If you do any reading on your handheld device you are sure to enjoy this app. It's very innovative and also has potential for growth down the road. Don't miss out the chance to be a part of bringing a new product to the public that builds on an old and outdated existing model. Click the image below to find the fundraising campaign.


DIGImmortal Photo: Blog Photos &emdash;


Another Distraction
Secondly, if you know my work, you know I'm very much steeped in the music business. I have some friends in a Rock group located in NJ that are trying to get money together to release their debut studio album, film a music video, and manufacture merchandise. All of these things are critical for a band to survive, and let's face it, if little indie bands like this don't survive and thrive, there is no music scene, or at least no scene with any integrity. Hard-working independent musicians are the same people that, with any luck, go on to perform large venues and influence lives (for better or worse). Don't you want to help these 5 young men influence lives? I know I do, and that's why I'm asking you to please check out their Indiegogo campaign and donate a few bucks. If you start small, you'll get some cool goodies for helping them out, but higher up the platform you could also get the chance to be in the music video they plan on releasing. Click the image of the band below to be taken to their campaign. Now, of course, for full disclosure, I was already asked to film their music video. So naturally I have something invested in this, the same goes for the above example with the E-book reader. Plus, hey, if you donate enough to be in the video, you'll get to meet me. What could be better than that!?

DIGImmortal Photo: Another Distraction 07-28-13 &emdash;


Bottom Line
Bottom line is that these people are clients of mine, and to thank them for choosing me out of all the Tom, Dick, and Harrys with cameras out there, I want to help spread the word about their endeavors as well. In the end it all comes full circle and one hand washes the other. If you help these guys with their dreams, they hire me for more work and I get closer to achieving mine. In all honestly, this is what thriving in a struggling economy is all about. This is what working within our own little micro-economy is all about. Most importantly though, this is what artists getting together to help support one another is all about. If you're reading this blog, it's most likely because you got the link from Facebook or Twitter, which means you are following me and know my work. You know I don't release, nor do I promote garbage. These are hard working people with goals, and they need some help, like we all do at times. So please consider flipping a few bucks their way, snagging yourself some cool perks, and knowing that you're helping all of us out there that refuse to do what society and the economy dictates, and march to the beat of our own drummer.

In closing, crowd-funding, while I can be critical of it at times, has proven to be a great way to not only get your own projects funded, but to help get products and ideas out there that would have otherwise been shunned away by the big corporations that are making money by keeping you in the dark about new developments. Personally, I may be starting my own campaign soon to help finish up the renovation work I'm doing at my studio, but that's a topic for a separate post.

Thanks for reading, and thanks for potentially supporting people who have helped support what I do.

More soon,
-Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment