Sunday, September 6, 2009

Heaven and Hell in NYC



So after all these years of being a huge Black Sabbath fan, I finally get my chance to photograph them live. Well, technically it's not Black Sabbath, but technically it is. It's actually Heaven and Hell, the name that they go by when they tour with Ronnie James Dio and Vinny Appice. 

It doesn't matter to me what you call them, if it's got Geezer Butler and Tony Iommi, it's Black Sabbath one way or another. They could be calling themselves the Purple Polka Dot Butt Plugs for all I care, I'd still be as excited as ever to see them live and shoot them.

We got the usual 3 songs that all concert photogs get, but the great part about it is that their songs are all slightly longer than most bands, so I was able to snap over 500 images in just 3 songs time. 



I know they opened the show with E5150 going right into The Mob Rules. From there though, I was so wrapped up in shooting that I didn't even really get to pay attention to the other 2 songs. Unfortunately for me I could not stay for the whole show, but I did get to catch about the first quarter of "Bible Black" from the bands latest release The Devil You Know and it sounded even better live, as if it were possible for that song to sound any better.

Faced a few problems while shooting, like the fact that the stage was so deep they rarely came to the front very often, so there was a lot of missed focus opportunities and blurred images from composition difficulties. Also, there had to be at least 15-20 other photographers there that night, which makes it hard to move around. Not having a long enough lens for the depth of the stage was also hard, but that falls into the composition problem. All in all, though, the shots came out great and I'm more than proud to show them off.

To view the entire gallery, just follow THIS LINK

And remember to visit me on Twitter




More soon!
-Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment